Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sour Cream Waffles with Dutch Honey

I'll be the first to admit that most mornings we're eating cold cereal. It's just far to convenient and the kids can get it all by themselves. But every now and then a hot and yummy breakfast is in order. I'll also be the first to admit that I often times go the Bisquick route for pancakes and waffles, it's what I grew up on and I genuinely like it! However these sour cream waffles take almost the same amount of time to whip up and this time had me wondering why I don't opt for them more frequently. I shall remedy that starting now. They are light and yet filling and are just an all around good basic recipe. If you've yet to try made from scratch waffles, let this be your first recipe and if you're a homemade waffle making pro add this to the repertoire. Either way, you won't be sorry!

As for the "Dutch Honey" portion of this recipe. It's pretty much the yummiest homemade syrup around. Creamy, buttery (with no actual butter) goodness. It's also versatile: use it on top of ice cream, drizzled over pound cake, and of course on any other typical breakfast fare. Or just lick it off the spoon...not that I'd know anything first hand about that.

Sour Cream Waffles

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 stick (8T) butter, melted
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3 large eggs

Heat waffle iron. Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix melted butter, milk, sour cream, and eggs. Pour into dry ingredients and stir till mostly smooth, don't overmix. Spray hot waffle iron with cooking spray (and I recommend doing this for each waffle), pour in appropriate amount of batter. Cook per manufacturer's directions. Serve hot, slathered with butter and Dutch Honey.

Dutch Honey
{Recipe from my sis-in-law Sam}

1 cup whipping cream
1 cup light karo syrup
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In small saucepan over med-high heat, place cream, karo syrup, and sugar. Stir to combine. Let come to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute and remove from heat. Add 1 t vanilla. Serve warm over waffles or pancakes. Keeps well in fridge, although why wouldn't you just drink it all before that becomes necessary?!

1 comment:

  1. I made these for breakfast today; they were delicious. I loved not having to whip egg whites separately (my current best waffle recipe), and the sour cream made a nice tangy taste that went oh-so-well with the dutch honey--yum! Thanks for a great duo of recipes.

    ReplyDelete