Monday, May 9, 2011

Easy Peasy Baked Brown Rice

Talk about a staple of a side-dish! This baked brown rice has become one of my favorite ways, well in all honesty the ONLY way I cook brown rice. I was always irritated that brown rice #1 didn't taste as good as white rice and #2 took sooo much longer to cook. And then I found this recipe and haven't looked back. Although it does take a bit of planning ahead time-wise (not your typical 20 minute rice, more like 1 hr 15 min rice), it's such a no brainer with it's whopping 2 ingredients and slap it in the oven and move on to other things while it cooks away with no additional fuss from you easiness that the additional time is more than worth it. Plus just think of how much more wholesome brown rice is than white! We still eat plenty of both in our house. But I'm glad to have a recipe worth mixing things up a bit in the rice department Give this a try, you'll be glad you did!

Baked Brown Rice
{Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe}

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 9X9-inch baking pan. (I use a 1 quart baking dish and think a 9X13 would probably work fine too) Place the rice in the prepared pan and pour in the liquid. Stir to equally distribute the rice. Cover tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for five minutes before removing the aluminum foil and fluffing with a fork.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great recipe. It's been added to the menu for this week. I love the idea of eating more brown rice because its better for you, but haven't really done so because its not as yummy as white. I'm so excited for your cooking blog. You're such a fabulous cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe! I can't wait to try it and don't you just love her site!! I've yet had a recipe from Mel's Kitchen not be a success.

    ReplyDelete