Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Tacos {Crock Pot}

Apparently we're on a mexican food kick in our household these days, and why not when it's all so good?! This easily ranks up there in my top ten easiest and somehow uber-delicious meals. The original recipe calls for 4 ingredients, I add garlic to mine taking it up to a whopping 5. Throw in the fact that you cook it in the crock pot and I'm sold. It's perfect for either a weeknight or company over dish. Love when I find something that's simple and yet still company over worthy!

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Tacos {Crock Pot}
{Slightly adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe}

2-3 chicken breasts (can be frozen to start)
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4-1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes, I recommend closer to 1/2 t-my kids can handle the heat!
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Corn tortillas
Favorite taco toppings: cheese, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, salsa, lettuce, etc.

Place chicken in crock pot. Mix tomatoes, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and garlic together and pour over chicken. Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 5ish. At least 30 minutes before serving, and I prefer and hour or more, remove chicken, shred, and place back in juices. Serve with tortillas and favorite taco toppings.

Note: Other recommended uses could be burrito filling, enchilada filling, nachos, or taco salad of some kind. I think I may have to try my hand as using it as a stand-in for homemade cafe rio salad with tomatillo dressing, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment