Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Crock Pot Lasagna

In case you didn't know by now, the crock pot is my dear friend. I use it religiously especially through the colder months which are unfortunately already here in my neck of the woods. The crock pot helps make that post-school/pre-dinner "witching"hour a little more manageable for me, what with not having to worry about making dinner and homework and piano practice and, and, and...you get the picture.

This lasagna is a great crock pot meal, it might not look all that pretty but its taste more than makes up for its looks and it is one of the easiest meals in a crock pot to assemble, particularly if you opt for jarred spaghetti sauce and I certainly do! If you aren't sold by now, let me share one last tempting tidbit-it's a 4 hour tops cook time (on low). So if you aren't on your game at 9 in morning for an 7-8 hour recipe, you can throw it in around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and it's good to go by dinner time. So great!

Crock Pot Lasagna
{Recipe source: Maren Layton}

6-9 lasagna noodles, uncooked (I use the flat not curly kind)
1 lb ground beef or turkey, browned and seasoned with italian seasonings i.e. basil, oregano, marjoram, garlic powder or salt, onion powder, and red pepper flakes
1 jar (28oz) spaghetti sauce
16 oz cottage cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Be sure to drain the browned meat really well. Spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in bottom of crock pot. Layer 2-3 uncooked noodles on top (I use a smaller round crock pot and have to break them them up a bit), then 1/3 meat, 1/3 spaghetti sauce, 1/3 cottage, cheese, and 1/3 grated mozzarella. Repeat layers two more times. I try to save a little bit of the sauce to put on the very top for moisture purposes. Cook on low 3-4 hours, but not longer than 4. Makes a good 6-8 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Let me just say how much I love your blog. I love that you do so many crock pot recipes because that is just what I need these days. I recently made your crock pot chicken (that you said could double for cafe rio chicken) and it was a hit! Thanks for sharing wonderful, do-able recipes.

    ReplyDelete