Monday, August 22, 2011

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

I've never been a Campbell's tomato soup fan. Not one little bit. And for the longest time that soup tainted my view of any other tomato soup, to the point of not even trying them. And then my friend Janel fed me homemade tomato soup one day for lunch and a whole new world was opened. Since then I've found this recipe for Roasted Tomato Basil Soup on Annie's Eats and now I find myself craving it all the time! It's so flavorful, has a great consistency, a little bit of spicy heat, and nothing could go better with grilled cheese on sourdough. Plus my kids would drink this with a straw, they love it! and it makes for killer leftovers too :0)

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
{Slightly Adapted from Annies-eats.com}

3 lbs ripe tomatoes, halved with seeds scooped out
1/4 cup plus 2T olive oil
1 T kosher salt
1 1/2 t black pepper
2 T butter
2 cups chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes with their juice
2 cups fresh basil leaves, torn
1 t fresh thyme flakes or an appropriate amount dried thyme substitution
4 cups chicken broth
Whipping cream
Grated parmesan for garnish

Preheat oven to 400. Combine the tomato halves, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss. Spread out on cookie sheet and pop in oven to roast for 45 minutes.

In large soup pot over medium heat, add remaining 2 T olive oil, 2 T butter, onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 7-10 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Using either an immersion blender or regular blender (be careful pouring hot soup in there), blend until smooth. If necessary add back to soup pot and then add a small amount of whipping cream, maybe a 1/4 cup? or so. Stir and serve hot topped with grated parmesan and grilled cheese for dipping.



1 comment:

  1. Ahhh!! I have arrived, to be quoted on Emily's blog. I, too, HATE canned tomato soup. But this recipe looks incredible. (Did you cry when you arrived at my house and I said we were having tomato soup?) Also, I could live on grilled cheese sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete