Monday, August 1, 2011

Navajo Tacos

Use #2 for scones...Navajo Tacos!
When I was young, we went to Swiss Days every single Labor Day. It's a delightful little craft fair, parade, chuck wagon breakfast, small-town event in Midway, UT. Without a doubt the best part of Swiss Days for me was getting a Swiss Navajo Taco. They were the size of a dinner plate and one of the best things I ate all year, or so it seemed to me then. Now that I find myself elsewhere on the earth with no Swiss Days to attend come Labor Day, of course I have to find a way to still get that taco don't I? In steps the ever versatile scone, which in this case doubles as Indian Fry Bread. Top it with whatever you like, but chili, onions, tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and salsa are all a good place to start.

Navajo Tacos

1 recipe scones made a little larger, fried and hot.

Top with any of the following:
Chili (we just go the canned route)
Chopped or sliced tomatoes
Chopped onion, yellow, white, or green will do
Shredded Lettuce
Grated cheese (a cheddar variety is best)
Sour Cream
Salsa (or hot tomato sauce for the more authentic swiss navajo taco expereince-unfortunately my store doesn't stock it :0( )

Top hot scone with any or all of the above and then die of sheer food bliss!

1 comment:

  1. Navajo tacos are an all-time favorite semi-guilty indulgence for me. I LOVE scones so much...thank you for this, and the scone post!

    ReplyDelete