Friday, November 18, 2011

Fluffy Mandarin Orange Salad

I realize this isn't exactly winter-time fare and that's it's a bit strange to see a somewhat summery salad/side sitting in snow! But I had a carton of cottage cheese that needed using and we like this any old time of the year. It's a great way to round out any meal and add a little sweetness to your plate to offset all that yummy savory. My sis-in-law Sam shared this recipe with me ages ago and I was shocked at how simple it was considering how amazing it tastes. My kids love this! We generally go the all orange route, but think that this could be definitely be adapted to almost any flavor gelatin and a fair number of fruits, i.e. peach with canned peaches, raspberry with fresh or maybe even frozen raspberries, strawberry with fresh strawberries-you get the picture I'm sure! Or mix and match: peach gelatin with raspberries and so on. Enjoy experimenting with this super easy and delicious recipe!

Fluffy Mandarin Orange Salad
{Recipe from my fabulous cook of a sister-in-law Sam}

16 oz + large or small curd cottage cheese
1 regular size carton whipped topping, thawed
1 package orange Jell-O (smaller or larger works, just use what you've got on hand)
2 cans mandarin oranges, drained

In large bowl gently mix cottage cheese, orange jell-o, and mandarin oranges together. When thoroughly mixed gently fold in whipped topping and make sure it's well-combined. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve. SO easy!

1 comment:

  1. We call this stuff "White Trash Salad", or at least that's the name I adopted since Geof.'s family has always called it that. Ha! Yummy stuff!!

    ReplyDelete