Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Basic Hummus

Remember the whole wheat pita post from 2 days ago? Well this hummus is what I made to go along with them. I've come late to the hummus club, but I'm so glad I'm now a member! In full disclosure I made, tasted, and was undecided about this recipe. But then I put it in the fridge and the next day it was better and the day after that it was somehow even better and I couldn't stop eating it and so I decided it was blog worthy!

Hummus is a lovely middle-eastern dip that is healthy and full of flavor. It's a bit tangy (lemon juice), has an interesting texture, and goes great with pita wedges or chips, carrot sticks, and I'm sure any number of other things I haven't thought of yet. If you have something you love to use it on or dip in it please share...

Restaurant-Style Hummus
{Not sure why it's called that but the original recipe from Annie's Eats called it that so I'll stick with it, my version is only slightly adapted from hers. Also a few ideas: a friend of mine who makes terrific hummus (without a recipe mind you, so she doesn't have amounts to share, darn it) uses a dash of vinegar in hers, she also flavors it with things like green bell pepper or cilantro blended right in as opposed to just used for garnish-it's to die for and I plan to add some of those things when I make this again}

3 T juice from 1-2 lemons
1/4 cup water (I used chicken broth though)
6 T tahini, well-stirred
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 (14oz) can chickpeas (AKA garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 T minced fresh cilantro

Combine lemon juice and water (or chicken broth) in a small bowl. Whisk together tahini and 2 T olive oil in a second small bowl.

Process chickepeas, garlic, salt, cumin and cayenne in food processor until almost fully processes, about 15 seconds. Scrape down the bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, slowly drizzle in lemon juice-water/broth mixture. Scrape down bowl again and continue process for 1 minute. With machine running do the same with oil tahini mixture, and process until hummus is smooth and creamy about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed. Taste and adjust seaoning if needed. Refigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. And if you can plan ahead and make a day before needed, that much better the next day!

2 comments:

  1. Em, your photographs look so good! I also think you should make this while I'm there, so there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a hummus lover and one combo you have got to try is pesto hummus. WOW. Also sun-dried tomatoes are really good.

    ReplyDelete