Monday, June 13, 2011

Teriyaki Bow Tie Pasta Salad

The first time I tasted this pasta salad I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I was at a wedding shower and kept going back for more and more and more, and then of course I tracked down the person who'd made the food and told them I couldn't live without the recipe. They obliged.
And now I'm here to spread the love to you today.

It's not your typical pasta salad. There's spinach for one, teriyaki sauce for another, and all kinds of other untypical and super tasty treats mixed in. If you want to make this a meal, you can add chopped cooked chicken that you've either marinated in teriyaki sauce and/or grilled. It would be awesome. I, however, opt to serve it as a side. With the summer pot luck/bbq season upon us, make this and take it to your next event you may very well have someone track you down for the recipe just like I did!

Teriyaki Bow Tie Pasta Salad
{From my friend Magaret Neilson. Just FYI this makes a HUGE salad. Way more than our family could ever hope to consume, so unless you're taking it to a potluck or having a people over you might do well to halve the recipe}

16 oz. bowtie pasta, cooked al dente

Dressing:
3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
2/3 cup red or white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup bottled Teriyaki sauce
6 T sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
(I usually end up adding a bit more sugar or a couple Tablespoons of honey-I like it sweeter)

Salad:
1 10 oz bag spinach leaves
3 11oz. cans mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup parsley, chopped (I never use this)
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1/2 cup+ salted or honey roasted peanuts (choose what you like)
1 6oz. bag craisins
2 8oz cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/4 cups sesame seeds, toasted

And if you're opting for it: cooked chicken (about 2 cups)

Blend dressing ingredients together in blender or food processor. Mix dressing and cooked pasta together in medium mixing bowl and marinate in fridge for 2 hours. Combine rest of salad ingredients in a LARGE salad bowl, add marinated pasta, toss and serve.

(Note: even when making the full amount version of this salad I find that I don't always want all of the dressing, set some aside (1/2 cup maybe) before mixing and marinating with the pasta. You can always add more later after everything is mixed together if you think you need it.)

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome, and the perfect thing for my garden full of baby spinach! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete