Friday, June 10, 2011

Better than Anything Cake

This cake actually goes by a much more, shall we say, "colorful" name but I thought I'd keep it "G" rated here. Let's just say it's pretty darn good and much better than lots of things, m'kay?!
Chances are you've had this cake or some version of it, particularly if you live in Utah. But on the off chance you've never tasted of it's deliciousness, you can thank me later.

It consists of a devil's food cake, drizzled with sweetened and condensed milk and caramel (groan) and topped with whipped cream and crushed up toffee bars. Dessert bliss I tell you!

Better than Anything Cake

1 Devil's Food cake mix
Ingredients cake mix calls for less 1/3 cup water (I wanted the cake to be a tad more dense and so did 1 cup instead of 1 1/3 cups water and it was just fine, although I can't say it made a huge difference in the end product but whatever)
Optional, chocolate chips added to cake batter, because you know you want too
1 can sweetened and condensed milk
1 small jar caramel ice cream topping
1 regular size container cool-whip
4 skor or heath bars, smashed to smithereens

Make and bake cake mix (in 9x13 baking pan) according to box directions, leaving out 1/3 cup water if desired and adding in chocolate chips to your liking. Remove from oven and while still hot poke several holes close together all over cake with the non-spoon end of a wooden spoon. Heat up caramel topping in microwave for about 20 seconds and one at a time drizzle milk and warmed caramel over cake making sure to get in each and every hole and all over the rest of the cake top. I tend to not use the entire jar of caramel, but do like the entire can of milk. When mostly cooled, cover and place in fridge to chill. Before serving spread thawed cool-whip over entire cake and sprinkle generously with crushed toffee. Serve cool and refrigerate left-overs, that is if there are any!

(Note: This is a very moist cake that sometimes doesn't cooperate well during cutting and dishing up, forgive it based on yumminess. It's the taste not looks that counts in the end right?)



2 comments:

  1. Aah!!! My favorite!! Haven't made this in FOREVER!! Yum. Hey, on your family blog? You might want to darken the sidebar text just a little bit. I know I could just add your recipe blog to my blog (would be easier), but since I haven't yet, I still go to your blog to find it and the text is so light it takes me a good 10 seconds (instead of the desired 1) to find it! ;)

    ReplyDelete