Friday, December 9, 2011

Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

I realize fall and Thanksgiving and Halloween have all come and gone and we're probably all "pumpkin-ed" out, but nevertheless here's my favorite recipe for pumpkin bars. It comes from my friend Shannon and although I had another pumpkin bar recipe once upon a time, when I tried hers I knew this had to be the one. There's just something about it. Everything tastes better when someone else makes it, but even making these myself I was more than happy to devour more than anyone ever should. Save the recipe for next year or make them today-either way your tummy will thank you!

Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
{Recipe from Shannon R., Hi Shannon!}

2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2 cups pumpkin (I just used a typical can)
1/2 t salt
2 cups flour
2 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg

Preheat oven to 325. Grease with cooking spray and flour a 11x17 cookie cheese. Mix all ingredients in order. Pour into greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 325. After bars have cooled sufficiently (I like them just a tad warm so that the frosting warms a bit and smoothes out nicely), mix together frosting ingredients and frost. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you'd like.

Frosting:
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 t vanilla
3/4 cup oleo or butter, soft
2-3 cups powdered sugar (depends on your desired consistency, I err on the side of less for a "thinner" frosting)
Splash of milk, as needed.

Cream together and frost.

2 comments:

  1. Yea!!! I made your blog! I feel very honored....maybe someday I'll consider myself a cook. But a good recipe speaks for itself. My friend Kalsey back in Kansas City gave me this recipe when she was pregnant with her first child and craved EVERYTHING pumpkin! And just a tip....an even better cream cheese frosting recipe from my past: 8oz cream cheese, 1lb box powdered sugar (about 3 cups), 1tsp vanilla. Easy peasy! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for titling these Fall! I really wanted the recipe and I hoped they would be easy to find and they were!:) delish!!

    ReplyDelete