Monday, February 20, 2012

Double Chocolate Muffins

Why stop at single chocolate when you can go double chocolate? We reeealllly liked these. They're obviously closer to a dessert than a breakfast item and that's what we used them for: snacks and after dinner dessert. I opted to sub in some whole wheat flour in a half-hearted effort to wholesome them up, and although it was probably a lost cause health-wise, I really liked the extra texture it added. And by leaving some of the white flour, they still retained an overall light and tender consistency. I think all whole wheat, for a more dense muffin, would work wonderfully as well. Perhaps working in some applesauce in place of the some of the oil would also be a decent alternative.
Totally worth the splurge and my brain would like to think they're still better than a cupcake, so there.

Double Chocolate Muffins
{Slightly adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe. Makes 24 regular size muffins}

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3 eggs
1 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk (Come to think of it I may have accidentally left this out-and shockingly they were fine! How funny!)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 t vanilla
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 and line 2 12-spot muffin tins with cupcake liners, each sprayed lightly with cooking spray.

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl and then add chocolate chips and toss. In bowl of stand mixer combine all wet ingredients. When mixed well pour all dry ingredients in at once and mix briefly on low. You don't want to over-mix muffins, so it's OK if the wet and dry ingredients don't look as combined as you think they should. Stop just short of your mixed comfort level!

Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins-1/2 to 2/3rds full. Bake at 325 for 16-22 minutes. (The original recipe says 16-18, I checked at both 16 and 18 and still kept them in 2-4 minutes longer). They're done when a toothpick test comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove tins from oven and cool on wire rack. I think they're best at almost room temp, when the chocolate chips are just starting to harden again.

Keep leftovers in an airtight container on counter for up to 2 days.

2 comments:

  1. How did I not know that you maintained a cooking blog?
    I don't know.
    I've found it now, and am drooling at the sight of it.
    I was especially glad to find the recipe for your Sunday Chicken Bundles.
    I'm making them this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I hope they were yummy for you!

    ReplyDelete